Home > About > Holy Innocents Church

Holy Innocents Church

(Click here for the Holy Innocents Parish website: http://lbcatholic.com/ )

HI_Church1Holy Innocents Parish was founded on the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, December 12, 1923. Pius XI was pope and John J. Cantwell was bishop of the then Los Angeles-San Diego Diocese. Calvin Coolidge was President of the United States.

Holy Innocents is one of 288 parishes that make up the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles. Archbishop José Gómez is our shepherd in communion with our Holy Father, Pope Francis.

Our parish has been the home to a future canonized saint as well as a Prince of the Church. Venerable Mother Maria Luisa Josefa of the Most Blessed Sacrament, foundress of the Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles, came to Long Beach in 1927 as a refugee from the fierce persecution of the Catholic Church in Mexico. While she was here, she attended Mass in our parish church and taught catechism to the parish children.

Let us pray for the beatification of Mother Luisita and ask of God many favors through her intercession. See the “Prayer for the Beatification of Mother Luisita” at the bottom of this page.

Additionally, His Eminence Cardinal William Levada, Prefect Emeritus of the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, was baptized in our parish church and spent the first 11 years of his Christian life as a member of Holy Innocents Parish.

Over nine decades, Holy Innocents has undergone many changes. One surprising fact is that our “little parish” is now the second largest in Long Beach in terms of overall population (St. Anthony’s is the largest). Moreover, our expansive parish boundaries circumscribe one of the most ethnically diverse areas in the United States.

Click the links to learn more about Venerable Mother Maria Luisa Josefa of the Most Blessed Sacrament (link to Carmelite Sisters website: www.carmelitesistersocd.com).

Holy Innocents Church

Contact Us

Holy Innocents School

2500 Pacific Avenue
Long Beach, CA 90806
Phone: 562-424-1018
Fax: 562-492-9250